We are a small group of people in downtown Toronto pursuing the development of a cohousing community and actively seeking new members.
Cohousing is an intentional community with an emphasis on shared community space while maintaining private ownership of individual homes and a strong commitment to personal privacy. It is also a way of housing ourselves in an environment that supports social interaction and sustainability. Cohousing is an attempt to create a balance of community and privacy reminiscent of the old fashioned village. It is not communal living nor is there any income sharing.
It is our hope to come together with like-minded people to live simply, peacefully and co-operatively. We want to live meaningful lives and be connected to and supported by those around us. We want to raise our children in a safe and nurturing environment. We believe in an ecologically sustainable lifestyle and incorporate environmentally responsible choices as often as possible.
We cherish and support diverse ages, ethnicities, interests, abilities, incomes, relationships and spiritual beliefs. We strive to be conscious of our words and actions and to be mindful in all of our relationships. We are cultivating a non-judgmental environment based on compassion and acceptance. We are committed to consensus decision-making.
Art and expression, friendship and laughter, inspiration and discovery, love and kindness, respect and trust, solitude and companionship, family and community. Working, eating, creating, listening, learning, sharing, helping, playing, and celebrating together.
- some shared community meals
- a variety of housing units (mix of 1,2,3 and 4 bedrooms); the majority will be owned
- price per unit will reflect average market cost
- interested in LEED status and/or green building initiatives
- each unit will contain kitchen, bathroom, living spaces and bedrooms
- between 20 and 30 dwellings in the community
- separation of cars from residential area
- newly built or retrofitted existing building
- clustered townhouses or units within a small building
- centrally located common areas, pedestrian areas, green and natural spaces
- ideally located in the downtown, west end area of Toronto
- striving to incorporate some affordable housing
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.